When we first moved in, we discovered a big closet under our stairs. We've seen neighbors use their closet for food storage, cleaning supplies, or a catch all. We decided to use ours as our children's playroom. Or more appropriately - their "playcloset".
Over the past five years, this little room has seen several changes. It's a tight fit for Josh and me, but it has been loved and enjoyed by our kids... it's a space they get to call their very own.
Between the shuffling of toys, the addition of more shelves and a schoolhouse desk, this little room has held several different arrangements. When we first moved in Lexi was just three. Now she is 9. She's outgrown her carebears and strawberry shortcake dolls, playdough and other things. Cali (wanting to be just like her older sister) insists she, too, won't play with any of those things. So out with the old... and in with the new.
I love this sweet picture of my son playing with his cousin in this special space.
My challenge: How to make our children's playroom more to their liking... a space they'd still enjoy and ALL actually use. Being artistic and crafty (like their momma) both Lexi and Cali love making things. So, keeping this in mind, I decided to change their playcloset into a "creation station".
I've had so much fun! First, I took everything out. Then, I painted the walls a more mature color... one that matched the rest of our house. I wrapped their bulletin board in fabric and found a cute wall quote, "Make Each Day Your Masterpiece". Next came the "Look What I Did!" board (from Grandpa Chuck) and some whimsical wooden butterflies to hang on the walls.
Finally, I collected baskets and went to town rearranging and then rearranging some more... filling the baskets with all of their art supplies, material, paper, stencils, some toys, and paints galore. I love an organized room! We'll see how long this lasts. ;-)
In the meantime, I'm loving that my kids love their "new" space. Caden loves playing with his animals around the corner, on the children's desk. It's a room Josh and I enjoy hangin' out in too. Move on over kids! Too fun!
.jpg)

.jpg)




I love all of your great ideas, and your craftiness, your resourcefulness, your fabulousness, etc. etc.!
ReplyDeleteLove this! I think I'm going to have to go get some baskets to line Kaitlin's craft desk with. (BTW--I have that same rug!)
ReplyDelete