Monday, October 18, 2010

Trash to Treasure - Step Stool Redo

I've been looking for one of these for years for my kids... What luck! I convinced the antique store owner to let me take it away for 10 bucks (warped wood and all).

 

With it's fold-up steps and sturdy seat, I saw potential. Cali too. :-) She couldn't wait to fix it up so she could use it to help me cook. We took turns carefully pulling off the warped wood and happily discovered nearly smooth wood beneath. 


I love working on projects with my girls. I can see them gaining creative confidence. I hope they keep this confidence and strong sense of self with them well into adulthood.


After sanding the steps, we got out the black spray paint and went to town. We were careful to lay a protective sheet down in the garage. What a huge difference a little paint job can make! I love the classic "all black" look, but this step stool needed something more... 


A little more flavor! ;-) Lexi helped me pick out the fun striped and polka dotted paper. Then, we traced the steps and the seat onto back of the paper and cut the shapes out.


Next, we applied Mod Podge liberally... onto the back of the paper and also onto each wood step. Mod Podge dries clear.


Cali helped apply Mod Podge to the top seat. We also applied it (in several layers) onto the steps to give the paper a good seal in case in the future it got wet.


My kids LOVE their new addition to our kitchen. It's light weight and easy for them to move around. The steps fold down for easy storage. It was so fun to turn something (that probably would have been discarded) into a "treasure" in our home.

1 comment:

  1. What a neat little project and soooo cute! You're such a good mom to get your kids involved in these crafty projects. What a neat skill to pass on to them:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...